Thursday, September 23, 2010

Die Oktoberfest 8: Matt Mayes

A mere 48 hours from now we'll be cleaning up from the HOPS! Oktoberfest fundraiser (this Saturday, Sept. 25th--more info, including how to get tickets, here). But before that we'll have enjoyed well over fifty beers, including one from the subject of today's Oktoberfest 8, Matt Mayes. Here's what Matt had to say in response to our eight questions:

1. Where do you live and what do you do (when you're not brewing, of course)?

I live in Humboldt Park (er, "West Bucktown") in Chicago.

2. How long have you been in HOPS!?

This is my first year in HOPS!

3. What got you into homebrewing?

My wife Meg bought me a Coopers beer kit, and while the beer wasn't so great an obsession was growing.

4. What did you brew for Oktoberfest this year and why should people try it?

I plan on bringing a Schwarzbier, an IPA and maybe a Pale Ale too. You should try them because you'll need something tasty to wash down all the delicious food being served :)

5. What's the weirdest ingredient you've ever used in a beer?


Grains of Paradise - not too weird, they add a peppery/lavender-like flavor to the beer. They're from Africa, where people chew them because it makes them feel cooler in the hot weather.

6. What do you like to listen to while you brew?

I'll listen to anything from Jazz to Iron Maiden. One time I brewed a beer for a friend who played in a band, and I played his CD the entire time for inspiration. The beer became one of our house brews, but the band broke up - whatever that means. ;)

7. What's your favorite local beer?

That's a tough one. My favorite one-off has been Shewolf by Half Acre/Three Floyds - but my go-to beer tends to be GI's IPA (I have a hop-tooth).

8. If I put you on a charter plane that would take you anywhere in the world to drink for 24 hours, where would you go and why?

My gut reaction would be Portland, I was there once and loved it, and didn't get to try everything I wanted to. Incredible food as well. But I would also love to go to some off-the-beaten-path places in the Czech Republic, but a day wouldn't cover that. So I'd probably go back to San Diego and drink Pliny all day.

I'm going to go ahead and add that, in addition to being a great brewer, Matt is a great drummer... AND the only drummer I know who can play his brewing equipment. If you want to try any of Matt's beers, purchase your Oktoberfest tickets here. We had less than twenty tickets left as of 6am!

No comments:

Post a Comment