Thursday, September 9, 2010

Die Oktoberfest 8: Tom Saldana

Today we kick off our pre-Oktoberfest feature, Die Oktoberfest 8. Simply put, we posed eight questions to HOPS! brewers whose creations will be available for sampling at his year's HOPS! Oktoberfest on Saturday, Sept. 25th (more info, including how to get tickets, here). We're excited to start with former HOPS! president Tom Saldana:

1. Where do you live and what do you do (when you're not brewing, of course)?

Bridgeport (non-political side). I am employed by the City of Chicago (Living in Bridgeport and a City Worker??) as the Chief Microbiologist. I make sure that the drinking water is safe to drink.

2. How long have you been in HOPS!?

I have been brewing for 17 years and have been a member of HOPS! for 14 years (1996).

3. What got you into homebrewing?

Old room mate bought me a basic homebrew kit and said we are going to brew. The first batch was an absolute disaster. That sparked my interest. I had to find out why it was a failure. The rest of my beers have been great. I brewed monster beers with big alcohols and hops galore. Currently, I have noticed that I have been becoming more stylistic (sticking to the Style Guidelines). On a side note: I am currently a BJCP Certified Beer Judge. I am a few judgings away from becoming a National Beer Judge.

4. What did you brew for Oktoberfest this year and why should people try it?

I brewed an English IPA and an English Extra Special Bitter (both with Thames Valley yeast). I also have an American Pale Ale ready to go. I brewed lighter style ales to hopefully attract the session beer drinkers. There will be a lot of beer to try at the Oktoberfest party. I want the people who really don't know the big beers to have a quaff-able beer that will not destroy their taste buds or get them inebriated too quickly.


5. What's the weirdest ingredient you've ever used in a beer?


The combination of cranberry and raspberry. The reason why it was weird is because it made my wheat beer taste just like Fruit Loop cereal.

6. What do you like to listen to while you brew?

Either WXRT or my I-pod. If there is a baseball game on, that's what over rules the music.

7. What's your favorite local beer?

Tough question! It is a harder question to answer than picking out your favorite finalist for a Miss Universe contest! I can say this though.... I have been blown away by some of the pump engine beers at the Rock Bottoms ( Downtown and Orland Park), Flossmoor Station and Goose Island! Metropolitan's I - Beam Alt was a favorite too! The Iron Fist Pale Ale at Revolution is mighty tasty!! Favorite local canned beer has to be Daisy Cutter from Half Acre. See what I mean? Too many great beers!

8. If I put you on a charter plane that would take you anywhere in the world to drink for 24 hours, where would you go and why?

That's easy! Vegas Baby! Vegas!! Las Vegas has a pretty good number of breweries : Big Dog's, Tenaya Creek , (the very shady) Ellis Island (behind Bally's), Triple 7's ( Main Street Station), Sin City Brewing, ect. All of them are pretty good. If I'm going to be up for 24 hours... there's no other place I'd like to be!


Sounds great, Tom... I'm getting thirsty already! If you want to try Tom's beers, purchase your Oktoberfest tickets here.

2 comments:

  1. I wanna try a beer that taste like fruit Loops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess if you have to have a hobby, why not make it Beer? Tom's definitely gotten remarkably better over the years. In the beginning I would have chosen radiator fluid over some of those first batches. Keep up the great work and never be afraid to try new things. Tom also makes a great wine.

    ReplyDelete