Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Die Oktoberfest 8: Klavs Dolmer

We're down to less than five days until this year's HOPS! Oktoberfest fundraiser (Saturday, Sept. 25th--more info, including how to get tickets, here) so I better get to our next installment of our pre-Oktoberfest feature, Die Oktoberfest 8. Today we talk with Klavs Dolmer. Here's how Klavs answered our eight questions:

1. Where do you live and what do you do (when you're not brewing, of course)?

I live in Wicker Park, Chicago, and I am a Research Assistant Professor in Biochemistry at UIC.

2. How long have you been in HOPS!?

I have been a HOPS! member for about 5 years, after a few years as a hang-around.

3. What got you into homebrewing?

I had been interested in beer (good beer) for some time, going to beer school at The Map Room and beer academy at Goose Island with my friend Gregg. In 2003, when Gregg's wife's colleague's husband, who was a HOPS! member, was showing Gregg how easy homebrewing was, I tagged along. I brewed my first batch, an American Pale Ale, two weeks later.

4. What did you brew for Oktoberfest this year and why should people try it?

This year, I brewed five beers. I was trying to show some of the differences ingredients make.
I brewed two saisons, using the same malts and yeast, but hopping one with traditional European hops and the other with fruity American hops. I brewed two American wheat ales, and fermented one with an American ale yeast, and the other with a French Saison yeast.
And I brewed an American Pale Ale, because I felt playing around with that recipe (I changed the mash schedule to get more fermentable sugars, and added less (and fewer), but darker caramel malts).

All my beers brewed for this year's Oktoberfest are on the lighter side in color and alcohol, and at the same time fairly hoppy, refreshing and flavorful.

5. What's the weirdest ingredient you've ever used in a beer?


Raisins in a dark, Belgian inspired beer a few years ago. It ages well, but was more "interesting" than "good".

6. What do you like to listen to while you brew?

It changes, but Metallica, Motörhead, and Stevie Ray Vaughan has been on recently.

7. What's your favorite local beer?

That is a difficult question. When grilling, I like to have a bottle of Flywheel or Dynamo (from Metropolitan) in my hand. I like hops, and Half Acre's Daisycutter is a big hit at home, as is Goose Island's IPA. But if my house caught fire, and I could only save one case of beer, it would be some of the aged Goose Bourbon County (brand) Stout. That beer is amazing.

8. If I put you on a charter plane that would take you anywhere in the world to drink for 24 hours, where would you go and why?

To Belgium. Exactly where in Belgium, I don't know for sure, but Brussels would be part of the trip. I am fascinated by the myriad of different beers brewed in Belgium, so 24 hours would probably not be enough...

Thanks to Klavs for taking time to answer our questions. If you want to try any of Klavs's beers, purchase your Oktoberfest tickets here. Tickets are going fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment