Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Die Oktoberfest 8: Bob McHale

For the second installment of our pre-Oktoberfest feature, Die Oktoberfest 8, we're talking with Bob McHale. Bob's one of the newest members of HOPS!, and I believe he's the first member who actually owns a bar--the Skylark between Bridgeport and East Pilsen. As a reminder, this year's HOPS! Oktoberfest is Saturday, Sept. 25th (more info, including how to get tickets, here). Let's see how Bob handled our eight questions:

1. Where do you live and what do you do (when you're not brewing, of course)?

We live at 37th and Hoyne. I own and operate the Skylark (bar/restaurant) at Cermak and Halsted.

2. How long have you been in HOPS!?

I joined HOPS this past January.

3. What got you into homebrewing?

I started brewing about two years ago after shooting the breeze with the brewmaster-owner of a place called Back Road Brewery
in LaPorte, Indiana. Also, when I bought the building where the Skylark is, I inherited a few cornie kegs and a walk-in cooler.

4. What did you brew for Oktoberfest this year and why should people try it?

For Oktoberfest, I hope to have a keg of American IPA ready. Hope it's drinkable.

5. What's the weirdest ingredient you've ever used in a beer?


T
he weirdest ingredient I've ever used is orange peel. Not too weird.

6. What do you like to listen to while you brew?

The last time I brewed, I think I was listening to a Steve Dahl podcast.

7. What's your favorite local beer?

My favorite local beers, when you can get it, is Three Floyds Lord Admiral Nelson ESB.

8. If I put you on a charter plane that would take you anywhere in the world to drink for 24 hours, where would you go and why?

Portland, Oregon. Also known as Beervana.

Thanks for stepping away from the bar long enough to answer our questions, Bob! If you want to try Bob's beers, purchase your Oktoberfest tickets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment