Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Brewing Education - Call for Volunteers

In the past year, we have seen a significant increase in the quality of the beers being brought in by fellow homebrewers and I feel that a large part of that has been due to increased education among the membership, not just in terms of the Commercial Examples Tasting portion of the meeting, but in having the group evaluate the beers brought in for Homebrewers' Corner. I feel that continued education and research will breed better beers and with that, I have an invitation to announce.

Historically, the Commercial Tasting has been secondary and somewhat passively approached by a single person leading the tasting. One of the goals over the next year plus is to have this portion of the meeting become more educational and more focused on getting a feel for the style and techniques that go into specific styles. As such, at this time I would like to invite fellow members to volunteer for future Commercial tastings. The process is quite simple, I'd ask that you shoot me an email letting me know you have a particular style in mind. If we haven't done the style in the last 12-18 months or so, I'll give the go ahead and ask that you do a bit of research into the style, see if you can come up with some interesting facts and either you can write a blog post and forward to me or you can send me a basic outline and I'll put it together as a post. You also will be able to choose what beers for the tastings, we only ask that at least one of the beers is a classic example per the BJCP style guidelines. The club has budgeted for reimbursement as well. So please, send me your thoughts and let me know what you think would be a good style for the next tasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment